Thursday, July 30, 2009

About Harry and the Eagles Nest

About me in person
I’m Harry Kunz. I came to Australia in 1982 from Austria, living in Sydney whilst I learnt English. I was fascinated by your native Australian Wildlife which I saw when I frequented Toronga Zoo. But I soon discovered that Australia was so much like Europe. So little was being done to preserve the native Wildlife species which were rapidly becoming endangered or even extinct. There appeared to be so few organisations carrying out rescue, rehabilitation and release of injured sick and orphaned creatures back into the wild. I vowed to do as much as I could to ensure this would happen.
When I embarked on a trip around Australia, I discovered many more unique and spectacular wildlife species, so that when I settled down in Kuranda I began myself appointed role as a carer. I quickly made application and received all the necessary permits to cover all species not only in the care of but in the research and education of others about them.
In particular birds of prey (Raptors other carnivores) no specific instructions accompanied this permit as to how I was to feed them and what animals were restricted in Queensland. I don’t think anyone really knew. So I did the best I could with whatever was available at the cheapest cost. I eventually left Kuranda moved to Millstream Estates and set up a Wildlife Sanctuary in 2001. In 2005, with the help of some likeminded neighbours, we established “Eagles Nest Wildlife Hospital Inc.”, becoming incorporated for the purpose of collecting funds and applying for grants for equipment and facilities. Obtaining revenue funding is very difficult although we have been successful in acquiring some capital funding through semi Govt. Bodies.

2 comments:

  1. What an amazing story. It's people like you that really make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing story. It's people like you that really make a difference.

    ReplyDelete